Yesterday I tweeted about Trump’s relationship with the mass media. The tweets got a lot of attention, so I’m archiving them here.
- Trump captivates those sick of condescending, elite media. Media bromides about his genuine threat to US will do nothing to change minds.
- And the sudden turn from “Let’s cover everything Trump does” to “Stop it, he’s a fascist” is too disingenuous, and too late. Damage done.
- Financially flailing media seeks attention, clicks for cash. Trump needs no money, only attention — clicks for votes. Exploitative synergy.
- Media are just as panicked as Trump’s base — they have no money. They’re exhibit A of his strategy. Clicks, cash — make media great again.
- Media will get ratings + readers until election. Americans will get a neo-fascist. Media layoffs will begin. But the neo-fascist will stay.
- Media is a white-collar industry that pays blue-collar wages. It is exclusionary and desperate at the same time. Perfect mark for Trump.
- Media over-covers Trump for the same reason people vote for Trump: panic. Layoff after layoff, no security. Desperation to stay afloat.
- This entire country is running on panic. Which means it is being run into the ground. Only person not panicking: Trump.
- Media values conformity above all. Aggregation is a form of conformity. Reprint what’s popular, regardless of content. Fascism is popular.
- Next step: “And he’s really not so bad after all.” Watch my words, it’s coming.
Today, Christie endorsed Trump. Media will continue to acquiescence. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.