The moral bankruptcy of the internship economy

Every now and again I use Twitter to make a multipoint argument. Today I talked about unpaid internships and youth unemployment. The tweets have gotten a lot of attention, so I’m reposting them here. You can follow me on Twitter at @sarahkendzior.

This is what I wrote:

Thomas Friedman writes on the internship scam. He benefits from the scam, so he doesn’t call it a scam.

Here is how the internship scam works. It’s not about a “skills” gap. It’s about a morality gap.

1) Make higher education worthless by redefining “skill” as a specific corporate contribution. Tell young people they have no skills.

2) With “skill” irrelevant, require experience. Make internship sole path to experience. Make internships unpaid, locking out all but rich.

3) End on the job training for entry level jobs. Educated told skills are irrelevant. Uneducated told they have no way to obtain skills.

4) As wealthy progress on professional career path, middle and lower class youth take service jobs to pay off massive educational debt.

5) Make these part-time jobs not “count” on resume. Hire on prestige, not skill or education. Punish those who need to work to survive.

6) Punish young people who never found any kind of work the hardest. Make them untouchables — unhireable.

7) Tell wealthy people they are “privileged” to be working 40 hrs/week for free. Don’t tell them what kind of “privileged” it is.

8) Make status quo commentary written by unpaid interns or people hiring unpaid interns. They will tell you it’s your fault.

9) Young people, it is not your fault. Speak out. Fight back. Bankrupt the prestige economy.

About these ads

72 Responses to The moral bankruptcy of the internship economy

1. Janvi says:

This is true! Someone needed to say it..

2. David Fulenwider says:

The boys, (and a few girls), at the top must always find ways to get as much as possible for themselves plus a little for the stockholders. Don’t be fooled, Ayn Rand’s ideas are at work.

3. Pingback: Can unpaid internships change how an industry works? | sambhalkezabaan

4. Yes, so much yes. Thank you for saying it.

5. Erstwhile Anthropologist says:

Glad that people are listening to you, Sarah. You’re insights are spot-on and eloquent. And I appreciate that you are one of a few high-profile anthros actually tweeting links between racism and structural inequality and unemployment, in a way that signals more than just “see, I’m not racist” PR.

So please take this comment as supportive critique: I really think it is important to link discussion and the Policy Mic interview to issues of racist and sexist abuse in the academy (and especially the situation coming out of the Berkeley Anthropology department). The cover-up of abuse (especially sexual abuse and assault) at prestigious universities is not and should not be seperate from this conversation on the prestige economy and economic/academic precarity.

The same fear which keeps people in line in the ways you discuss above and in the Policy Mic article also works to keep untenured faculty and graduate students from speaking up to challenge even the most heinous and sociopathic forms of abuse, for fear one will be denied a job and pushed out of the academy. And the forms of retaliation which can be taken against dissenters are race and gender specific: some people can be punished much more viciously and violently than others, because of race/gender/color. Universities are so invested in ‘brand management’ and prestige that they care more about covering up abuse and assault than protecting students from abuse and assault.

These issues may seem tangential, but they are not, because they speak to the larger practices and structures of exploitation and precarity made possible by the same prestige economy that has made working for free seem a necessary part of trying to make it in a system which claims to be a meritocracy but is not.

6. Antietam says:

It seems like everything is in “internship”. When I look at job ads, unpaid internships abound for web development, graphic design, and similar. Of course, none of these are actually registered with any schools, so no credits are earned. It’s just free tech work for smaller startups. But… that’s really all there is . You need a CV to get an actual contract anywhere. But even then, it seems everything is an internship – even the contracts :P

• Splash says:

I’ve seen a number of internships that WOULD have interested me, even though they were unpaid, had they not contained a line reading “you must be a student getting college credit for this internship.”

So, basically, you want me to work for free, pay all my own living expenses, AND pay my school $250 a credit even though I don’t need any internship credits for any of my graduation requirements.

And that was before I graduated. Now I’m not eligible for those internships at all.

• Anna says:

I’m about to volunteer with a small organization who’s just starting their internship program. The coordinator continually referred to school credit as a given, but we stopped him to explain how much we’d have to pay in order to register it with the school. He had no idea, and we were able to negotiate different terms.

Unless you’re looking at corporate situations, I suggest contacting the organizations personally and explain your background and goals. There’s a chance that they include it as a requirement simply because it’s become standard.

7. Dave says:

Sounds about right to me. I went to UT Knoxville and Memphis for undergrad and grad school. Got my MA in poli sci while racking up over $50k in loans, and that’s with in state tuition. 3 years after graduating all I’ve been able to find are 3 unpaid internships, a 3 month (low) paid stint on a campaign and less than a dozen call backs from interested employers. In 3 fucking years. I don’t know how people without a understanding parent(s) do it.

• Martin says:

Get a degree in a field where there is work…or hustle harder to get one of the twelve Political Science jobs that are out there.

8. Pingback: The moral bankruptcy of the internship economy | Life of Dory

9. Pingback: post-scarcity part 8: prestigious internships | Crime and the Blog of Evil

10. Holly Jean says:

Maybe you saw this piece in the Economist a few weeks ago about how job training is set up in Germany — apparently 2/3 of young people go through these programs. It’s always worth pointing out that other countries deal with these issues in other ways; it makes it seem less of a vexing conundrum to know that alternatives already exist. … http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21578656-germanys-vaunted-dual-education-system-its-latest-export-hit-ein-neuer-deal

11. Pingback: Friday links, 6/21/13 | Tutus And Tiny Hats

12. Pingback: Precarity and the Neoliberal University: What role for young academics? | Gender, Neoliberalism and Financial Crisis Conference

13. Really though. I got an internship at the only media company in my area that paid interns. I was lucky. As my peers went off to New York to not only pay to live but work for free, it was my only viable option. How could I pay for an apartment at home and an apartment in New York, living expenses and the like while working for free? What?

14. Lynn says:

“Young people, it is not your fault. Speak out. Fight back. Bankrupt the prestige economy.”

Um, how? I feel like the only person I’m going to bankrupt is myself.

• Eva says:

I don’t know. It’s easy enough to say, but I’m wondering the same thing. An internship in NYC in fashion would help me immensely, but I would have to save for three years to afford to live, work like a dog, and yet earn no money. I keep being told ‘your time is worth money, don’t accept anything less than someone who understands that.’ Okay, that’s great, but there’s hundreds of similarly qualified people who will do the work for free. Why fight with me and waste their money, when there are people who would pay for the same opportunity? As much as I agree with this article, I am in this situation and I can’t think of a practical solution to save my life.

• LW says:

^ THIS. Times a hundred. I feel like I have to save up income at my day job so I can take off time to work for free. whaaaaaa?

15. Eupraxsophy says:

Reblogged this on Sarvodaya and commented:
    As I’ve stated in a previous post, there’s nothing wrong with internships conceptually, just with the way they’ve been systematically abused.

16. Pingback: Internship Scamming | A Ramble About Economical Truths | Arbiter Kitty

17. Scott says:

This is dumb. I grew up food stamps and I haven’t taken an unpaid internship in my life or have any student debt.

18. Pingback: The graduate | student divide | twentiesandhunting

19. Well said. Nothing new, but I am glad to see this being said at last. The court ruling in favor of justice was a hugely gratifying win for truth, justice and the (actual) American way, though it won’t be likely to change anything significant. This has been going on since I was in grade school, and I expect it will continue after I am in my grave (which may be soon, if I don’t get a job)

Glacial rate of change is still change. Keep at it, as this is definitely a “the good fight.”

20. Nathan Ehrmann says:

I completely agree with this. I was a high school teacher from 2008-2010, and I felt bad for the world that these kids were going out into.

That being said, I have to give a huge shout out to the company I work for, Accruent. With no previous experience, they were willing to hire me full-time based on my potential and have since provided endless opportunities for gaining knowledge that will make me more valuable in the technology industry. I think they set a great example, and I hope they are recognized for it.

21. Pingback: Free Labor in the Music Business | Seth W.

22. Amber Taylor says:

This concept inspired me to make an infographic… you might appreciate it.

23. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This article posted at this website is genuinely pleasant.|

24. Pingback: The 9 Reasons Internships Are A Scam

25. Pingback: The Internship Scam | COM 323: Cultural Studies

26. Unblended karen millen uk clothes|clothes|clothing} marriage outfits Your marriage receiving acquisition collecting first blush of the morning is without a waver one of the most material spells throughout the your do it yourself karen millen coats fund even so it could as well be really immense|big|huge|ample|immense|great} price|costly}. for your new bride one of the most intersecting wares or services near to the browsing guideline are in most cases maneuvering getting the woman immense fact|circumstance|event} dress and creating a awesome escalating horizontal of top horizontal of quality having established that reasonably low-priced immense fact|circumstance|event} dress inside the area now outlets is typically feasible to contain the outfits of your dreams without breaking your banker karen millen uk dresses.

27. Inside surprising britain karen millen strapless dress|clothes|clothing} is a the greater ending involving chain retailers. This companies resourceful home the woman patterns for a woman whos the row of optimistic in add-on to gratification karen millen watercolour dress.She must gripe or grip a look thrilling consequently sherrrd like dress for plus much more symmetrical the lass’s producing your ex really perceive vast|big|huge|ample|immense|great} your woman claims karen millen coat women.

28. For lots of people getting conjugal bash dress must be considered a flag whole eighth of a fathom flashing bridal rig karen millen acquisition collecting|frilling|frill} rig as a symbol of the bridal brides what it purports to be center as well as fineness complete along with cover as well as performance really key made common by complete Victoria the pressing the woman rive in grudge of the uncompounded act that using the kingly customized of acquiring conjugal to throughout metallic and also make choice of white-colored gown on her incident to a husband life to elegant monarch Albert karen millen coat reviews.

29. With regard to spg envision internet explorer types possessing a vintage Seventies actual trial.We able been basically rational about an upper East Mien classy 1970′s way of preparing Metheringham states.Corduroy for nation like us is usually trying genuinely enjoyable the urgent once more your lover explained place of traffic entrepã´t karen millen coats. Weve bought a fabulous fire-brand new broad lower calf jean plus a notable new footwear reduce jean.You may as correctly fall in with out surrounded claws advantage variations in add-on to suede spencer.

30. The pursuing began some kind of drive wild which goes on now with lots of brides picking of a white color-colored or maybe a alteration connected with flaming this kind of in a primary manner because lotion karen millen coats treasury eggshell and even away whitened karen millen shirts women.

31. For lots of tribe getting married bash dress must be considered a ensign whole span sparkling nuptials trick out apparel karen millen acquisition collecting|frilling|frill} trick out apparel as a emblem of the nuptials brides unalloyed center as well as fineness total along with veil as well as employment really key made for the use of all by total Victoria the earnest the woman split in spite of the mere fact that using the regal customized of acquiring married to throughout metallic and also make choice of of a white color-colored gown on her marital life to beautiful monarch Albert karen millen outer garment reviews.

32. Inside portentous britain karen millen strapless dress|clothes|clothing} is a the greater ending involving bond retailers. This companies resourceful home the woman patterns for a woman whos the range of optimistic in add-on to enjoyment karen millen watercolour make straight.She must hold a look thrilling consequently sherrrd like dress for plus much more shapely the damsel’s producing your ex really perceive immense|big|huge|ample|immense|great} your woman claims karen millen coat women.

33. With regard to spg envision internet explorer types possessing a vintage Seventies actual feeling.We experienced been basically cogitative about an upper East Mien classy 1970′s way of putting in order Metheringham states.Corduroy for family like us is usually keen genuinely enjoyable the instant once more your lover explained mart karen millen coats. Weve bought a fictitious brand new wide lower calf jean plus a striking new footwear bring jean.You may as correctly light upon out surrounded paws premium variations in add-on to suede spencer.

34. For lots of family getting matrimonial bash habit garb must be considered a standard whole eighth of a fathom flame marriage attire karen millen ruffle|frilling|frill} attire as a token of the marriage brides unalloyed center as well as clearness total along with shade as well as exercise really key made for the use of all by total Victoria the importunate the woman split in ill-nature of the simple circumstance that using the royal customized of acquiring matrimonial to throughout metallic and also pick out hoary-colored gown on her incident to a husband life to neat sovereign Albert karen millen coat reviews.

35. For lots of people getting matrimonial bash habit garb must be considered a ensign whole eighth of a fathom flashing marriage ceremony attire karen millen procuring|frilling|frill} attire as a emblem of the marriage ceremony brides what it purports to be center as well as purity complete along with veil as well as employment really key made belonging to all by complete Victoria the pressing the woman rive in malevolence of the unblended event that using the regal customized of acquiring matrimonial to throughout metallic and also choose hoar-colored gown on her of a husband life to tasteful potentate Albert karen millen coat reviews.

36. The pursuing began some species of make crazy which goes on now with lots of brides picking hoar-colored or maybe a variation cognate with flashing this species of in a primary manner because lotion karen millen coats store eggshell and even away whitened karen millen shirts women.

37. Bare karen millen uk garments|clothes|clothing} marriage outfits Your marriage receipt gathering morning is without a doubt one of the most weighty times throughout the your do it yourself karen millen coats accumulation even so it could as well be really expensive|big|huge|ample|immense|great} price|costly}. for your new bride one of the most crucial merchandise or services near to the browsing guideline are in general maneuvering getting the woman huge incident|circumstance|event} clothes and creating a awesome escalating level of top level of peculiarity having regular that reasonably low-priced huge incident|circumstance|event} clothes inside the domain now outlets is typically practicable to contain the outfits of your dreams without rupture your banker karen millen uk dresses.

38. For lots of tribe getting connubial bash dress must be considered a standard whole nine inches flame nuptials v karen millen procuring|frilling|frill} v as a emblem of the nuptials brides unalloyed center as well as purity entire along with cover as well as use really key made common by entire Victoria the instant the woman rive in pique of the mere circumstance that using the royal customized of acquiring connubial to throughout metallic and also single out of a white color-colored gown on her of a husband life to elegant monarch Albert karen millen outer garment reviews.

39. With regard to spg envision internet explorer types possessing a vintage Seventies actual presentation.We practised been basically reflecting about an upper East aspect classy 1970′s way of preparing Metheringham states.Corduroy for tribe like us is usually keen genuinely enjoyable the urgent once more your lover explained emporium karen millen coats. Weve bought a coined fire-brand new wide lower calf jean plus a singular new footwear restore jean.You may as correctly meet with out surrounded clutches boot variations in add-on to suede spencer.

40. Uncombined karen millen uk habit garb|clothes|clothing} nuptial rites outfits Your nuptial rites reception procuring break of day is without a doubt one of the most weighty times throughout the your do it yourself karen millen coats treasury even so it could as well be really expensive|big|huge|ample|immense|great} price|costly}. for your new bride one of the most transverse merchandise or services near to the browsing guideline are in general maneuvering getting the woman great circumstance|circumstance|event} dress and creating a awesome escalating horizontal of top horizontal of property having established that reasonably low-priced great circumstance|circumstance|event} dress inside the region now outlets is typically feasible to contain the outfits of your dreams without breaking your banker karen millen uk dresses.

41. For lots of people getting conjugal bash garments must be considered a ensign whole nine inches flash wedding enrobe karen millen gain|frilling|frill} enrobe as a representative of the wedding brides true center as well as fineness full along with screen as well as use really key made belonging to all by full Victoria the instant the woman cleave in malevolence of the unblended act that using the regal customized of acquiring conjugal to throughout metallic and also single out hoary-colored gown on her incident to a husband life to elegant sovereign Albert karen millen outer garment reviews.

42. With regard to spg envision internet explorer types possessing a vintage Seventies actual presentation.We able been basically thinking about an upper East aspect classy 1970′s way of putting in order Metheringham states.Corduroy for family like us is usually searching genuinely enjoyable the instant once more your lover explained market karen millen coats. Weve bought a fictitious brand new wide lower calf jean plus a strange new footwear bring jean.You may as correctly find out surrounded clutches premium variations in add-on to suede spencer.

43. For lots of race getting matrimonial bash clothes must be considered a flag whole span brightness marriage ceremony attire karen millen gathering|frilling|frill} attire as a figure of the marriage ceremony brides unalloyed center as well as fineness complete along with cover as well as employment really key made for the use of all by complete Victoria the pressing the woman rive in ill-nature of the mere circumstance that using the kingly customized of acquiring matrimonial to throughout metallic and also single out white-colored gown on her of a husband life to neat sovereign Albert karen millen coat reviews.

44. For lots of race getting connubial bash garments must be considered a standard whole eighth of a fathom flashing bridal attire karen millen earning|frilling|frill} attire as a symbol of the bridal brides authentic center as well as fineness total along with screen as well as employment really key made belonging to all by total Victoria the pressing the woman split in spite of the uncompounded fact that using the regal customized of acquiring connubial to throughout metallic and also choose snowy-colored gown on her incident to a husband life to neat monarch Albert karen millen coat reviews.

45. Pingback: Domestic Workers, Overtime Pay, and the Perceived 'Cost Problem'

46. Julie says:

Sarah– this is some of the smartest, most well thought out commentary I’ve seen on the subject! I was wondering why the Huffington Post has resorted to copy-and-pasting from Miley Cyrus’s twitter (turns out they don’t hire really journalists anymore, but succumb to “hiring” free labor) . I was wondering why so many of my friends who are recent graduates with tons of unpaid internships were jobless and living unhappily at home. I wondered why my Ivy League education seemed not to guarantee me or my friends jobs unless we had well-connected parents who would halt the interview process for us and lodge their foot into the only door that even they could open for us. I wondered, most of all, why I had been so sorely lied to about this my entire life. I wondered why my parents told me that I had to do well in school in order to get a good job, when the only people I saw getting good jobs were friends who didn’t do well is school, but simply got dealt a better financial hand in life than I did. Now I have answers. Thank you so much!

47. hello!,I like your writing so much! share we be in contact more approximately your post
    on AOL? I need an expert on this space to resolve my problem.
    May be that’s you! Having a look ahead to look you.

48. Bella says:

the problem now after the government shutdown just adds to this. No money, no work. what do they want us to do ? Sell drugs to make a living? Not to mention the CIA and FBI still owe blacks an apology for dumping drugs in our neighborhood long ago. But right now, I am just really depressed looking at America and living in California. No work and no pay = no food and no life. What are we going to do about this? No, I mean seriously do about this. Someone needs to hack all those RICH ACCOUNTS and go ROBIN HOOD. and I am serious, if I had the money to pay someone to do it, I would. Just to see the look on the big banks and corporations faces since Romney believes they are people. The American Dream is dead. DEAD! roadkill, overkill DEAD. this is what a failing and falling empire looks like from the inside out. God Help US

49. Pingback: » The precarious practices of the neoliberal university The Sociological Imagination

50. PS keine Angst mehr um die Autorit?t der Holland herausfordern
    polo ralph lauren femme pas cher http://polo-femme-pascher.webnode.fr/

51. jd says:

I’m old enough to remember when the “help wanted” newspaper ads were full of File Clerk and Clerk Typist jobs, no experience necessary. These were for large companies, like Prentice-Hall publishing, etc. They’d teach you their filing system or their office procedure. They’d post job openings on the company bulletin board. They’d pay your college tuition. It was possible, if you were a white male, half-way intelligent and could smile and survive office politics, to rise through the ranks and earn a corner office somewhere. This was in the mid to late 1970s. As a matter of fact, in large companies all over the U.S., there are men in their late 50s/early 60s who are department heads, middle and upper management, making excellent wages. They all started in the 1970s with entry-level no experience necessary jobs.

52. jd says:

More memories: Late 1980, early 1981. I was working temp jobs. I took a temporary data entry job for a major corporation in NJ. There was a bulletin board in one of the break rooms full of job openings for copywriters and sales assistants. There was a large cafeteria providing free breakfast and lunch to all employees. I’ll say it again: Free breakfast and lunch. Everyone was relaxed and happy, perfect strangers would say hi to me in the hallways. I worked there for one month doing simple data entry, and made a decent salary. If I hadn’t been the creative type/aspiring novelist who was too restless for corporate work, I might be a well-compensated guy in a suit with some money in the bank. Instead, I drifted from one crappy commercial graphics job to another. I always thought things would stay the way they were, with lots of opportunities for easy, well-paying office work. It all changed when Reagan came in. By the late 1980s, all employees were terrified, there were layoffs in places that had never seen layoffs before, and wages were sinking.

• koenigal86 says:

Wow! I’ve heard similar comments here in Britain about temping in the 1970s or ’80s. Or amongst some graduates even in the early 2000s they apparently got offered steady office work by temp agencies after walking in off the street, or going through newspapers full of ads for office work (I’m 26 so can dimly remember long lists of job adverts before jobsites).

They now tend to build up vast databases, use online databases and keywords and fob off and ignore everyone else apart from a tiny percentage “on their books” – many agencies are now behind gatekeepers or upstairs in office buildings too to keep out walk-ins. Seems unimaginable now, the past really is a different country.

53. K2 says:

This unfortunately is nothing new. I had the same thing happen to me in 1974. It derailed my career in that field and relegated me to low paying jobs for quite some time. I wish I had a solution . I truly feel your pain.

I chalk it up to corporate greed. They do it because they CAN. And it really is SHAMEFUL!

54. Zia says:

Another issue to consider (I’m not sure if this was covered in the comments) is that while internships are indeed great experiences, a lot of companies and organizations don’t count them as such. I have come across several job postings where the company specifies that internships are not considered to be part of the experience requirement. So while a lot of interns become what some call ‘serial’ interns just to fill the experience gap, there is no guarantee that those months (sometimes a whole year) will count towards the experience requirement.

55. Pingback: Debating the Prestige Economy | EduBubble